Sunday, May 4, 2008

Stop pulling those dandelions !

Living in a society that wants their laws to be so immaculately "weed free" is especially difficult for me! Years ago I had the chance to learn how to recognize and use many roadside herbs and weeds we find everywhere, even in our backyard....at least mine! I've learned some pretty neat and useful things using plants that most people reject as garbage. Take the dandelion for example: A lot of people know you can use the young leaves to add to your fresh salad, or the older leaves to cook like spinach. I don't blame you if you'd rather go to the grocery store, it takes a lot of picking to get a handful of greens. But there is one part of the dandelion that I find particularly useful:

The roots. No I don't make coffee out of it, I like my usual coffee with sugar and cream, thank you. I clean and cut up the roots in small pieces and leave them to dry for later use. The reason why I clean, and chop while the root is fresh, is because when it dries, the cutting is tough!
Make yourself a nice hot tea by pouring hot water on some cut up roots, adding a spring of mint for added flavour and honey of course. Doing that regularly will fix your cold extremity problem. I'm not kidding you, I use to always have cold hands and feet, my cure was dandelion root.
The bonus part for me since I'm on a tight budget is that it didn't cost me a thing.
Cheap, and effective medecine.

No comments: